Vanmeters Cultivate Heritage in Pike County
Farm founder Isaac Vanmeter purchased the land that is present-day Vanmeter Farm in Scioto and Seal Townships in 1801. The original purchase documentation is signed by Thomas Worthington, Register of the Land Office in Chillicothe.
Several original structures remain standing today, including the stone house, smoke house, and the frame school house. The stone house and outbuildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Isaac’s son John practiced law in New Jersey and Virginia and came to Ohio in 1826. He married Mary Harness, and farmed the land acquired by his father. He served terms in the Ohio House of Representatives and the Senate. Later, Mary and their children would continue to live on and manage the farm while John served as a representative from Ohio to the U.S. Congress.
Farm ownership has remained in the Vanmeter family, with members Mary Gordon, Kezia Sproat, John Vanmeter and Ralph Metzger forming a family corporation in 1995.
Today the farm is more than 1,250 acres used for corn, soybeans, wheat, hay, and timber production. They maintain 36 acres of conservation planting near the Scioto River and Beaver Creek. Recent cooperative projects on the farm include Ohio University habitat research, and Division of Forestry monitoring for invasive insects.