Tradition Grows on Martin-Bick Farm
In 1798, Alexander Martin moved from Virginia to Ohio and purchased 115 acres of land. The farm eventually grew to 400 acres in Union Township, Brown County. A log cabin was built, and the family engaged in general farming.
Alexander started work on a large home in 1812, using stones gathered from a nearby creek and fields. Completed in 1816, the home is called “Stonehurst” and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The farm had electricity added in 1935 and indoor plumbing in 1940. Robert and Clara Martin purchased the farm in 1939, and they lived in Stonehurst with their daughter, Mary.
Founder Alexander Martin is the great-great-great grandfather of Mary Martin Bick. She, husband Joe and their two children – Roger and Barbara – enjoy their Bicentennial Farm. Barbara and her husband, Ray Campbell, lived on the farm when their daughter Sara was born.
Today the farm is 100 acres, used to pasture cows and to raise hay, soybeans and wheat.