Three Springs Farm Rooted in Fairfield County History
In 1799, Frederick and Ester Harman left Pennsylvania to settle on 640 acres in Fairfield County. The Harman farm was located in a well-travelled area, with the early frontier road known as Zanes Trace passing through it.Â They built a log house, conveniently situated near the three springs that run through the property, in 1802. One of the earliest county schools was held on the second floor of the home. The family also deeded land to the United Brethren in Christ in 1838 to provide a site for a church and cemetery.
In 1926, Frederickâ€™s great-great granddaughter, Fannie Harman and her husband, Carl George, acquired the farm. They raised corn, wheat, soybeans, hay, cattle, hogs, and sheep. Fannie and Carlâ€™s daughter, Dixie, and her husband, Howard Smith, continued the line of family ownership.
Â The Three Springs Farm today features several of the original structures, including the house, smokehouse, springhouse and summer kitchen. Corn, soybeans, and cattle are raised on the farmâ€™s 81 acres.