Smiley Family Nears 250 Years on Farm
That year, England’s King George III deeded nearly 500 acres of land to Alexander Smiley. Ohio would be formed later, in 1803, so the land was considered part of Virginia at that time.
After transferring the farm to his son, James, Alexander returned to England to live in 1779. James became the second link in the long tradition of Smiley Family ownership.
The family’s original log cabin was destroyed by fire, and the family completed a new home in 1813 with rock quarried on the farm. The second home was also lost to fire in 2003, and the family then finished construction on a third home. The family was able to save an original cherry cupboard from both fires.
Today, John Smiley is the seventh generation of the family to live and work on the farm in Adams County. He and son James raise Charolais cattle and produce corn, wheat, soybeans, and hay on their 600-acre farm.