Ray Family Plays Role in Early Jackson County History
In 1796, Thomas Ray and several other families left North Carolina to scout for farmland in Ohio. After finding favorable locations, the group traveled back to North Carolina, and then packed and moved to Ohio in 1804. Many of the families in the group are still located in the area today.
The farm was originally considered part of Ross County until Jackson County was established in 1816. In recognition of the pioneering family, Thomas Ray is listed in First Families of Ohio by the Ohio Genealogical Society.
After the War of 1812, Thomas’ son, Moses, acquired about 1500 acres next to the land where Thomas had settled. Moses laid out the nearby village of Raysville, which was situated on the Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad line, in 1854.
Today, Gregory Ray owns the family farm, which is 121 acres used for hay production.