Newhouse Family Honored at Delaware County Fair
On September 15 at the Delaware County Fair, Ohio Agriculture Director David Daniels and the Board of County Commissioners recognized the Newhouse family for 200 years of farm ownership.
For the family, it all started when Anthony and Nancy Newhouse moved from Pennsylvania to Pickaway County, Ohio in the early 1800s. Anthony served in the War of 1812, and returned to his Ohio farm. In 1814, he sold his farm in Pickaway County and purchased land in Scioto Township, Delaware County, for $2 an acre. Anthony and Nancy were instrumental in building one of the first log churches in Scioto Township in 1840.
They remained on their Scioto Township farm until their deaths. The farm would continue from father to son through five generations, when F. Joy Newhouse acquired the farm from his father in 1953.
F. Joy and Helen Newhouse were active with agriculture organizations. He served with the Delaware Rural Electric, Delaware County Farm & Home, the county Agriculture & Stabilization Board, the Farmers’ Exchange Board, and also served as a 4-H advisor for 10 years. Helen served as a 4-H advisor for 31 years, and as a member of the Altrusa Service Organization for 25 years.
The farm is now owned by F. Joy and Helen’s children: son Gary and his wife Yvonne, and daughter Sharon and her husband Brian Wade. Wheat, corn, and soybeans are raised on the farm’s 133 acres.
Banner photo (from left): Commissioner Ken O’Brien, Commissioner Gary Merrell, Sharon Newhouse Wade, Gary Newhouse, Director David Daniels, and Commissioner Dennis Stapleton.