Monroe County Farm Hits 200 Year Anniversary
This year marks the 200th anniversary on their Monroe County farm for the Dannemiller family.
It all started when John and Catherine Winland arrived in the area around 1812. They purchased land in Center Township in 1815, with their deed signed by President James Madison.
About that same time, the county seat of Woodsfield was being formed from land that was mostly dense forest. Construction on the county’s first court house, a log house, would begin the following year, in 1816.
As the family started to settle in, John built a brick home for them. In 1865, the home was moved to a second location, and remains in use by the family today. John helped organize the township, and built the first mill on Sunfish Creek in 1821. It was the second mill built in this part of the county.
After John’s death, the farm passed to his son, Henry, and then to Henry’s daughter, Alice, and her husband, George Morris. In 1932, the farm passed to Alice’s brother, Philip Henry Winland.
Philip’s granddaughter, Charlotte Dannemiller and her husband, Don, acquired the farm in 1998. Their 220-acre farm is today used for the production of hay.