Long Family Celebrates 150 Years on the Farm
In 1864, Ohio Governor John Brough issued a deed to John Long for land in Section 16, in what is now Grand Rapids Township, Wood County. Section 16 is remarkable for the fact that these were initially “School Lands”, appropriated by Congress to support public education. The land adjoined John’s father’s farm, and combined for a total of 120 acres.
There is a tradition of the farm passing from Long father to son – from John to Howard to Deloy and then to Joseph.
The farm is in the Black Swamp, and Joseph remembers riding a wagon with clay tile that he would slide down a chute into a dug trench to help with drainage. Located near Beaver Creek, the family has enjoyed hunting, fishing, trapping, and other recreational activities. Howard Long, Joseph’s grandfather, recalled from his youth many stories of Indian activities along the creek, and shared them with Joseph.
Howard was known for his prize workhorses, and he and Deloy (Joseph’s father) attended farmers’ institutes to stay current on agricultural advancements. Deloy was an early proponent of soil tests, and used modern equipment on his farm. At one time he held the per-acre soybean production record in the county.
Joseph had a home built within 100 yards of the original Long homestead, and his 45-acre farm produces corn, soybeans, and wheat.