Hivelys: Growing Success
Founder Michael Hively moved to Ohio from York County, Pennsylvania, and acquired 100 acres of land in Unity Township, Columbiana County, in 1807.
In 1828, Michael’s son Daniel deeded one-eighth of an acre on the southeastern corner of the farm for the construction of a one-room schoolhouse called “Hively School”. Later the school’s name was changed to “Highland School”. The school closed in the 1930-era, when it was consolidated into New Waterford School.
The Hively Bicentennial Farm is named “Hively’s Highland Farm” in honor of its school history.
Today, Michael’s great-great-great grandson and sixth-generation owner John owns the farm with his wife, Karen. They live in the family’s 1880-era farmhouse.
For more than 150 years, the Hivelys have raised Shorthorn cattle on their farm. Son Curt manages the genetics and breeding program for their 100-head operation. John remains active with local farm boards and organizations, and received the Distinguished Service award at the 2011 annual meeting of the Columbiana County Farm Bureau. He was also named the 2010 Outstanding Cattleman of the Year by the Columbiana, Mahoning and Trumbull Cattlemen’s Association.