Historic Kirker Farm Founded by Ohio’s Second Governor
Thomas Kirker, who would later serve as the second Governor of Ohio, received a land grant of nearly 5,000 acres in 1793 for his service to the government.
Thomas and wife Sara raised a family of 13 children on their farm in Adams County. Their home was built in 1805 from sandstone quarried on the farm. Charles Kirker, Jr. and Jean today live in the same house as his great-great grandfather.
Thomas’ son, George, added a two-story addition onto the house. He also started construction of a bank barn, but was interrupted while he served as a Captain of the 141st Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. During that time, the Kirker home served as a stop on the Underground Railroad.
Charles Jr. and Jean are the fifth generation of Kirker family ownership. The bank barn built by George is still in use. Since the 1860s, the family has specialized in shorthorn beef cattle, and they also produce hay on the 250-acre farm.