Heritage Preserved on Martin Family Farm
In 1805, Jesse White purchased 160 acres of land in Goshen Township, Belmont County. The farm passed to his son, James, and then James’ son-in-law, Amos Martin, in 1854. The farm has stayed in the White-Martin family since it was founded in 1805.
Amos and his wife Mary Ann White Martin built the farmhouse in 1856, and it is occupied by the family today. The Martin Farm is well-documented, with many of the original deeds, tax receipts, letters and journals preserved by the family.
Amos’ son, James White Martin, built their barn in 1899. It features oak framing, poplar and wild cherry siding, a slate roof, and a bent-cypress silo.
James and his son kept a herd of dairy cows and sold milk for many years. The milk house was built around 1900 and stands today. In addition, several other historic buildings remain standing on the farm, including a cooper shop, corn crib and coal house.
Jesse White’s great-great-great grandson, Bob Martin, and his wife Marietta today own this 150-acre Bicentennial Farm, which is used for hay, corn and soybean production.