Henry Family Continues Farming Tradition
Founder Andrew Zeller was a fifer in Washington’s Army in the Revolutionary War. He migrated from Pennsylvania to Montgomery County in 1805 at age 51. In 1807, Andrew purchased 320 acres of land close to Little Twin Creek.
He was a licensed preacher before he came to Ohio, and he opened his Ohio home to serve as a meeting house for the early United Brethren settlers. The United Brethren in Christ Church is one of the first denominations founded in the US; the Germantown Church, which dates back to 1806, is the oldest organized United Brethren congregation west of the Allegheny Mountains.
Andrew built a log meeting house on his farm in 1817, separate from his residence. He was elected as the first western bishop of the church in 1817 and served for six years.
The farm passed down a line of Andrew Zeller’s male relatives, until Addie M. Zeller Henry acquired the land. Addie’s grandson, James Henry, currently owns the farm.
Today, grain crops are raised on this 63-acre Bicentennial Farm.