Hamilton County is Home to 2nd Oldest Bicentennial Farm
Think of Hamilton County, and what comes to mind?Â For many, itâ€™s Cincinnati, sports teams, or a host of attractions and activities. Not many would think of agriculture.
For the Turpin Family, however, agriculture in Hamilton County is a long-held family tradition. Long enough to qualify as the second oldest registered farm in the state.
It all started in 1785, when Dr. Phillip Turpin purchased nearly 2,667 acres of land for 100 pounds.
Dr. Turpinâ€™s son, Phillip, was granted 1,000 acres of the farm, becoming the first of the family to settle on their land. Phillipâ€™s sons, Ebenezer and Edward Sr., next acquired the farm, continuing the flour mill operation started by their father, and also operating several whiskey distilleries and grain production.
The farm eventually passed from Edward Sr. to Edward Jr., then to Edward Jr.â€™s daughter, Christine Turpin Fischer.Â Present day-owners are Christineâ€™s son, Robert Turpin Fischer Sr., along with his son Robert Jr., and daughter Pam Fischer Simmons. The farm has now been home to six generations of the Turpin family.
The Turpin Farm is about 10 miles from downtown Cincinnati. Â The family grows sod on 500 acres, and 300 acres are used for grain crops and greenhouses.