Growing Heritage on the Baughman Farm
Lewis Glock always kept busy. He had several jobs: as a one-room school teacher, a long-time township clerk, and a school board district clerk. Lewis might not have realized it, but in 1908 he was also busy writing the legacy chapter of his family’s Pleasant Township, Hardin County Century Farm.
Originally 49 acres, the farm was used to raise cattle, hogs, sheep and chickens, and to grow corn, wheat, oats and hay. Lewis added some ground, and his children, Pauline Baughman and James Glock, would inherit the 98-acre farm in 1958. Pauline’s family – husband Kenneth and children Norma and Walter – inherited the farm in 1975; Walter and his wife Rita later become the sole owners.
Walter is a Farm Bureau member and past county board member, a Seventh Degree Grange member, and a 60-plus year member of the Greenwood Grange. The Baughman farm is now 334 acres, operated by Walter and Rita’s son Lewis. They grow corn, soybeans, wheat, and hay, and raise sheep.