Felton Family History Takes Root on the New Twin Creek Farm
Joseph Singer arrived from Virginia, and purchased 320 acres of land in Harrison Township in 1804. He and wife Elizabeth raised 13 children on their farm.
A bank barn, estimated to be 140 years old and originally used as a tobacco shed, remains in use today.
Over time, the farm was acquired by several women in the family line, reflecting in the owner’s name changing from the Singer to Smith to Foster to Felton families.
Owners C.V. and Effie Foster acquired the land in 1913, growing tobacco, corn, barley and wheat and raising Shorthorn cattle and hogs. C.V. used horses to work the land and remove gravel from the farm’s gravel pit. His team of grey Percheron mares consistently won the draft horse pull at the Preble County Fair. It became a sensitive topic when C.V.’s brother-in-law, an International Harvester dealer, tried to convince him to upgrade to modern equipment. Believing that the tractor’s steel wheels would compact the soil, C.V. would remain steadfast in his use of draft horses on the farm.
C.V. and Effie’s daughter Helen married M. H. Felton, and she eventually acquired the farm. Today Helen’s daughters Barbara Felton and Becky Spear own a combined 101 acres of this Bicentennial Farm called New Twin Creek Farm, on which corn and soybeans are raised.