Elder Family Conserves, Preserves Farm
The Elder farm was cultivated in 1834, when founders Joseph & Elizabeth Friend purchased 157 acres of land in Pleasant Township, Fairfield County. Taking root and prospering, the Friend-Elder family has kept the farm in their family for 180 years.
Many changes, tangible and intangible, have occurred over the span of those years. For instance, when the original log cabin burned, their present home was built around 1900. Or when they became one of the first to use hybrid seed corn, and to use and sell fertilizer. The farming operation continued to grow and thrive.
The Elders don’t rest on past achievements, however, as they continue to think ahead about the best ways to take care of their farm. Wanting to ensure their land remains in agricultural use forever, they entered into the 2011 Agriculture Easement Purchase Program. And even more recently, earning recognition as a 2014 Ohio Conservation Farm Family by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
Congratulations and best wishes to Karl and Peggy Elder as they continue to grow their Ohio Century Farm operation.
Photo courtesy of Tim White, Ohio Farmer