Clark County Home to Stickney Bicentennial Farm
Brenda Stickney’s ancestor, William Hendricks, and his son-in-law Samuel Lafferty, received a Congress Land Grant in 1805. They were able to purchase 640 acres for $2 per acre.
Early production on the farm included wheat, corn and potatoes. In 1832 Nathaniel Cartmell built a grist mill on the farm for the milling of wheat.
Several old structures exist on the farm, including a shop thought to have been built around 1835; a large bank barn with a stone and cement foundation and wood siding built in 1840; a smaller bank barn built in 1938 and refurbished in 2011; and a wood shed built in 1890.
David and Brenda Stickney are the seventh generation of the family to own this Bicentennial Farm in Pleasant Township. The farm and homestead are 400 acres, 480 acres are sharecropped on an adjoining farm, and they rent pasture for their cattle.