Call Family Continues Heritage in Summit County
In 1803, Josiah Starr acquired 181 acres in Stow. The land was heavily wooded, and he cleared 12 acres in three years to plant crops and build a log cabin home. Josiah produced maple syrup, raised sheep and cattle, built a sawmill, and operated a cobbler shop.
Josiah’s daughter, Mariah, married Moses Call, and they purchased the farm in 1859. The farm has remained in their family for five generations, and is now owned by Charles and Jean Call.
Although much of the original farmland has been developed, several acres remain and are dedicated as a tree farm for land preservation. Charles and Jean continue to live in the original family home. Son Howard and his wife Theresa also live on the farm, building their retirement home where the barn once stood.