Andreas Farms Built on Heritage, Opportunity
In 1851, Hans and Anna Andres and their four children, including son John and his wife, Elisabeth, left their native Switzerland bound for America. Like many immigrants, they were hoping to find opportunity in the new country.
When an opportunity arose, the Andres family purchased farmland south of Ragersville in Tuscarawas County. They settled in and adapted to their new environment. Some changes would take place: the spelling of their family name became “Andreas”, and their original land purchase was eventually sold from the family.
John and Elisabeth purchased 105 acres north of Ragersville in Auburn Township in 1881. This parcel became the foundation of today’s Andreas Farms, which is an Ohio Century Farm.
Dan Andreas and his son Matt, the fifth- and sixth-generation on the farm, continue to build on their ancestors’ success. Their Andreas Farms is comprised of 3,250 owned and rented acres, including the land south of Ragersville which was reacquired by Dan and Matt in 2010. Milk production has been a tradition since the founding of the Andreas farm, and today Dan and Matt maintain a herd of approximately 1,500 Holstein cows and 1,500 Holstein heifers and calves. Farm operations focus on conservation practices, resulting in Andreas Farms receiving the 1981 Conservation Farm of the Year award from the Tuscarawas Soil and Water Conservation District.
Both Dan and Matt are actively engaged in agricultural organizations. Dan was inducted into the Ohio State University Dairy Science Hall of Service in 1997. He is past vice president and a 12-year board member of COBA, and first vice president and 11-year board member of Select Sires Inc. Dan serves as vice president of the Ohio Dairy Producers Association. Matt is on the Ohio Dairy Producers Association board and Farm Credit advisory committee, and a member of the Maryland & Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative.
Congratulations to the Andreas Family on their Ohio Century Farm registration.