A Starr of Geauga County
Elwin and Faye Starr started their family legacy with a 1903 purchase of land in Claridon Township. Settling on the farm, they raised cattle and chickens, corn, oats and wheat. A baby chick hatchery was also part of the early operations.
Elwin and Faye’s son and daughter-in-law, Hubert and Ruth, took over the farm in 1945. In 1980, the farm was transferred to Elwin and Faye’s grandson, Donald, and his wife Judy.
Over time, the family transitioned their operations to greenhouses and Christmas trees, while continuing to produce hay. They have now raised bedding plants, including annuals, perennials, vegetables, and herbs, for more than 40 years.
The family remains busy throughout the year, with their season starting in mid-February when they sow seeds and start rooted cuttings. Plants are sold through the early part of summer, when they begin concentrating work in their orchard, pruning grape vines and apple trees and trimming Christmas trees. During fall they sell apples and people also begin tagging Christmas trees. Then in December, they are busy cutting and selling fresh pines, spruce and fir trees and wreaths.
Today, the fifth generation of the family has already started learning the ropes and helping out on the farm, which covers 135 acres.
Congratulations to the Starr family on their recognition as an Ohio Century Farm.