A Long Time on Their Farm
The Long family of Franklin County was recently recognized at the Franklin County Fair for owning an Ohio Bicentennial Farm.
In 1815, Christopher Rockey gave 100 acres in Madison Township to his daughter Elizabeth. She and her husband, George William Long Sr., transferred the 100 acres to their son, George William Long, Jr. This began a family tradition of the farm passing from Long father to son: George Jr. to William Marshall, to George Franklin, to Ralph, to the current owners, Donald and Deborah Long.
Donald’s great grandfather and grandfather, William Marshall and George Franklin, raised horses, cattle and hogs. William served as county infirmary director, on the township school board, and as township trustee.
In 2000, Donald and Deborah worked with the Bureau of Land Management to adopt wild Mustangs from the western U.S.
Today, Donald and Deborah raise Mustangs from the west, along with Hereford and Scottish Highland cattle, goats, hogs and chickens on their 75-acre farm. Their four sons have all built homes and settled on the farm.